Sunday, September 6, 2009

LIfe is the funniest thing in the world: Part 2


As I'm sure you know, BYU's football team recently defeated number three Oklahoma in a very fun game, and made some big noise for the first game of the season. I watched the game away from my apartment but drove back to Provo later that night. I was surprised at how alive Provo was. I had only seen such celebrating after Spain beat France in the world cup tournament in 2008. People were honking their horns, and marching down the middle of the street waving BYU flags. People were staying up late and it was just really alive. There was a large gathering at the stadium, and then about 1000 people greeted the team at the airport at 1:30 in the morning. I understand that it was an exciting victory, and that's great that they were celebrating, but I couldn't understand the boys. The ones I saw marching down University Avenue in large groups with their shirts off waving flags. Why on earth did they have their shirts off? I've thought about it and I can't derive any logical connection between winning/celebrating the football game and marching down the street with your shirt off. We'll just assume they're freshmen and let it slide.
The other thing that happened that demonstrated the humor in life was when I got a text last night at 1 a.m. and thought it was my alarm. I half consciously got in the shower, took a shower and came out. When I came out, my roommate Jordan woke up enough to say, "It's 1:00 a.m." I just stood there for a second, not really knowing how to react. I got back in my pj's and fell back asleep. Just one of those moments where you either laugh or you cry. SInce "you make for yourself one of two realities," I've found it's better to laugh.

1 comment:

Wanamakers said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one that wakes up delirious enough to take showers and get ready for the day at ridiculous times. Maybe it means we enjoy life so much we can't wait for the next day to begin!