Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Observations of an almost only boy


This entry is an explanation by my roommate who claims to have women's communication all figured out.
Note: This is not a reflection of the host's opinions or viewpoints.

It's easier to talk about how women don't communicate, than to talk about how they do communicate. The rule of thumb is: Do everything but say what you mean. They get frustrated when, after giving hints to a guy, the guy won't leave them alone. When they do say something it's usually not what they mean. That's true pretty much true across the board. I guess there's some exceptions but the readers should not consider themselves those. Females dig circumlocution. It's so "cloak and dagger." They might say to someone "oh, you look so cute today" but that actually means, "your actually not cute" "I'm jealous" "I'm saying that because you are cute, but I'm still cuter than you are", or they say it because they don't know what to say, or sometimes it is sincere. So when someone says that there is a 25% chance of it being genuine. Another rule of thumb: If you can't say it in the superlative, don't say it. There is a specific list of vocab. words and phrases that you need to know because they mean the opposite of what Webster says. Examples: "fine" "I'll take 5 minutes""Nothing" (always means something) "that's okay" "whatever" (is an insult). Talking is cathartic. There is rarely a logical justification to talk. When a girl asks a question, she doesn't want an answer, she wants you to ask it back, viz. "How are you?" "How was your day?" "How are you feeling"
Jordan admits that these are generalizations, but he says not really.

This is Shawn speaking again. I take no responsibility for what Jordan said. I only hope it was humorous for you to some degree because it was humorous listening to him tell me how the world works.

Up next (by request) observations concerning men

3 comments:

colloquialism said...

PS I do not have it 'all figured out.' That comment is superlative in nature and has been filtered by this moon fellow. Also, This is concise and does not include my ramblings in full. That can change things.

nic and krista said...

Funny. I guess Jordan has it "mostly" figured out :) If you need more help figuring it out, Nic is the local expert around here. By the way, where did you find your Quote widgets on your sidebar?
-Krista

lovely laurie said...

My advise to both you and Jordan is to just keep working at it. If and when you ever do figure it out, it will change! Guaranteed! :)