Thursday, June 11, 2009

Code Talkers

During World War II, the United States used Navajos and other Native Americans to send and receive secret messages because almost no one else could tell what they were saying. They were called Code Talkers.
Interestingly, the rest of us try to be code talkers, but our codes are often so easy to decipher that we might as well just not talk in code. In his book, "The Brothers Karamazov" Fyoder Dostoyevsky makes the comment, "As a general rule, people...are much more naive and simple-hearted than they suppose. And we ourselves are, too."

The following are some different types and instances of code talking that I have observed which illustrate that, truly, we're not as clever as we think we are. These are not in any particular order.
First, there's the Sarcasm Code. The sarcasm code is when people say something sarcastically only to hide the sincerity of the statement. Prime example: when I say, "I'm huge," I say it sarcastically so as to hide the sincerity and the obvious truth of that statement.
Another form of code is the Vagueness Code. The vagueness code is best illustrated when one person, who is talking to someone of the opposite sex, with whom they might like to go out with, say they have "something" on Friday night, instead of just saying that they have a date. It's interesting to note that people try to use this code in one of two ways. They either truly don't want the other person to know, or else they do want the other person to know, so they purposely talk vaguely in order to spark curiosity, or just to be coy about it. What's the point?
One of my favorite codes is something we'll call, "Changing the Frame." Changing the frame is when you try to say something, but you frame it in a way that attempts to hide the underlying meaning or motive. Example: I had one friend who was interested in a girl, and another friend who was interested in another girl. The two girls were friends. One friend came up to the other and said, "Hey, I know how you can get in with girl 1. You could spark up a conversation by asking her what girl 2 thinks about me." Obviously he was trying frame the message so that the point of the statement would have been the other friend's self-interests. He failed. It is very clear why he was saying that, and it was not for the other friend. The musician Kalai demonstrated in a concert that he doesn't care to use this code. He said(paraphrased), "You know, a lot of people, when they're breaking up with someone say, 'It's not you it's me.' When I went to break up with a girlfriend, I said, 'Hey, I found someone that I like more than you, and I'm going to go be with her.'" That's maybe a little harsh, but it illustrates the difference.
Finally, we'll go with a code we'll call "The Navigator." The navigator is when people try to turn the converasation towards or away from a certain point. People try this all the time, but it's super entertaining when they fail or make it too obvious. In it's worst form, this code can be blantantly changing a topic of conversation. It can also take the form of asking questions that you didn't realize would come right back to you, and that you didn't want to answer, or giving questions and comments that you know will lead to other questions and comments.
Everyone that reads this knows what I'm talking about and they're probably guilty of it. Maybe we can all realize that we're not really code talkers and leave that to the Native Americans. Again, in echo of Dostoyevsky, You are much more naive and simple-hearted that you suppose.

1 comment:

Wanamakers said...

So I'm just catching up on blogs and I love your blog. I had a hardish long day and after reading your blog, I feel much better. You are a great writer and I love to read about your thoughts and opinions on things. I'm sitting in my family room with the computer on my big belly and smiling. Thanks!