Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ups and Downs of Love

I found out a few years after high school had ended, that a good friend of mine had me in her high school cell phone as "Grandpa Moon." I have over the years been compared to an old man; sometimes having earned it consciously and sometimes without having any idea where it came from. I don't mind it. I guess there is some old man in me already. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed the new Disney movie "Up" so much. It's about an old man.

I've already been laughed at for saying this, but I thought the love story in that movie was the best love story I have ever seen in a movie. It's at least in the top three. I had a mission companion who always used to sing the line, "the greatest adventure is what lies ahead." That is basically the theme of the movie. So, the moral of the story is that love is an adventure, and there's always some ahead. The old man takes his home up, and from the experience finds love.
Movie on from my movie review, I had another experience with love last weekend, only it was down instead of up. No, i didn't break up with someone, it really had to do with falling.
On Saturday, we were working outside the house, and my Dad needed some help felling a tree. So I went and pulled while he cut, since it was right by the house. The tree fell, and all was great, until we noticed the baby bird laying on the ground as if it were dead in the midst of the branches, and the nest from which it fell a foot or so away. At first I thought, "Oh, that's unfortunate." But then we saw that it was breathing. So I bent down and, with my gloves on, cradled it in my hands and put it back in the nest. When I picked it up, it instantly opened its mouth wide for a worm, and I my heart just melted.
I'm guessing it's what happens when a typical girl sees a baby, and they forget everything and gush over the baby, only I wasn't really gushing, and I didn't really forget anything, but my heart really melted. We nestled the nest into the tree that was right next to where the fallen one had stood and hoped that everything would be alright. Everything was alright until an hour or two later when we saw a grown robin on the porch railing with a worm in its mouth and obviously flustered because it couldn't find its nest and baby. Then my heart melted again, and I felt like a big nincompoop. So I ran and got the gloves again, and moved the nest onto the porch railing. Obviously the bird flew away because I'm a scary nincompoop person, and it just happened to fly right into the tree where I had put it. So after a two placements of trying to help, we put the nest back in the tree and hoped that the mom would find the baby. I don't know what happened. I didn't see the mom again, but I can't tell if she found the baby or not. I ripped it's home down. But, maybe the mom found the baby and they realized how much they meant to each other, and they lived happily ever after.
Whether your house gets ripped down, or floats up, "love will find a way" (Blessed Union of Souls).

No comments: