Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Girl's Shoes


Here's another shot at a request:

Last Sunday at ward prayer, an apartment of girls was being spotlighted. At the end of each blurb about the individual girls, the intoducer would say, "... and if she were a shoe, she would be..."
...?
Is this comparison common among women? I've never considered that someone would purchase a pair of shoes because they have a personal comparison with them.
This is great. This could become a branch of psychology. I always thought that shoes were something you put on your feet to protect your feet from the ground. Silly me. Shoes are an expression of self.
I understand that people have different sides to them, but if someone has hundreds of pairs of shoes, does that mean they're schitzophrenic? Or are you just schitzophrenic if you keep changing your shoes unexpectedly?
I think this concept can help us appreciate people better. Think about good old Mr. Rogers, and the shoes he wore. Apparently he only had two sides to him: outside and inside. If you are not yet convinced of the amazing revelations available through shoe comparisons, just think about the number of people who come home, take their shoes off, and put on another pair of shoes for the house. Nobody does that. This guy is obviously one of a kind.
So, next time you turn to personalities or something ridiculous in order to get to know somebody, stop yourself and examine their shoes.
By the way, if I had to choose a shoe to represent myself and I chose a flip-flop, would that put me in the same boat as John Kerry?

2 comments:

rob said...

Reminds me of the movie "Sneakers"... when potential clients would come in they'd look to their shoes. If they were expensive, they knew they were in for a lucrative job. As for me, I like the assumption that our favorite shoe says something about us. Yay for chacos.

lovely laurie said...

This is a great commentary, and let's hope you are not in the same category as John Kerry!