Friday, May 22, 2009

Comfort Food

What's with girls and comfort food?

I realize that such a question might be initially offensive and sexist, but then you start thinking about it and you realize that it's generally true. Girls grant great power to food. My only-boyhood, as well as other experiences with girls, has instructed me on the fact that ice cream and chocolate have the ability to make everything ok. President Obama should have allocated stimulus money to the production of chocolate ice cream. Besides those two universals, girls usually have a favorite dish that can have the same effect, such as mashed potatoes or certain salads. I guess I don't have much to comment on this phenomenon. I just know that it exists, and that I don't know how or why it works for them.

I do have something to say however about health. I have come to the conclusion that if America is obese or unhealthy, it's not only because we lack self-control and are lazy. It's partly because we're inconsiderate despite efforts to be kind and because we don't want to offend.

We give each other a ridiculous amount of junk food. Just the other day, my boss got mint brownies for each of us employees in celebration of a birthday. These brownies were a supplement to the cookies she constantly has for us to munch on. I didn't want a brownie. So I tried to walk out without one. I wasn't fast enough. She asked, "don't you want a brownie." I couldn't say no because she had gotten one specifically for me (without asking if I wanted one). So I took it, and thought about how I could get rid of it. I would think it was wierd if someone gave me a mysterious brownie, and I couldn't justify throwing it away, so I ate it and am now more unhealthy than I previously was. Stuff like that happens all the time.

The past two times I have gone out to eat with my family, my extremely healthy mother ended up eating cheese fries the first time and a shake the second time, all against her will.

When people are down we think, "I'll make them some cookies." We should think "If I hated them, I would make them cookies, because then they would be unhealthy and more prone to health problems. Since I don't hate them and I want to help them, I'll take them a fruit salad, or a healthy dinner, or something like that." We never think that. We give junk food to each other everytime we want to be nice. It's not nice. So, if you've read this post and you give me junk food, I'll just assume that you hate me. Perhaps, if you think I can at least get comfort from you chocolate inconsideration, remember that I'm a boy. I won't.

5 comments:

rob said...

Sounds like somebody has put on a little weight lately. Its okay, Shawny, we still love you...

shawn said...

Rob, I'm huge. Take it how you will.

Wanamakers said...

Totally agree. Solving world obesity is going to be lots harder than solving world hunger!

Kate said...

I'll take a fruit salad... and I will also take rocky road ice cream.

*One for my health and one for my comfort.

Thank you.

Rachel Moon said...

Oh great! I just had to read this after bringing you brownies last night--thanks Shawn. For the record, I don't hate my brother.