Friday, May 29, 2009

Life Speed Limit: 60 MPH (miniutes per hour)

I was driving down Center Street in Provo the other day when I noticed two things: the speed limit was 15 MPH and a sign said that downtown Provo was "Historic." I guess Provo itself is about 160 years old, so we can call it historic. Downtown just looks like it's from the 70's so I'm not sure that qualifies, but whatever. The biggest parallel I saw between downtown provo and history was the slow speed. Almost no one goes 15 mph anywhere, unless it's construction or something. Back in the good ole' days, strolling took the place of speeding.
I have a hard time strolling. I'm getting better at it. I used to be really good at it. My mom would tell me to hurry up because she felt like she was walking by herself when we went places. I went on my mission and forgot how to walk slow. I'm getting better at it.
Before my mission, there was a day when I went with a friend to Savers to get him a couch for his apartment. I had something to do, or somewhere to be, and so I was kind of ancy. I remember very clearly how he sat on the couch he was thinking about and said, "relax Moon, you gotta reap it." I guess that what the younger generation does instead of smelling roses.
When you really think about it, people who are always in a hurry are just reving their metaphorical engines. Life happens at a fixed speed. C.S. Lewis said, "The future is something that everyone reaches at 60 minutes per hour, no matter who he is, no matter what he does." Just chillax. Go with the flow of traffic. If you try to go faster, you'll probably experience road rage or get impatient.

1 comment:

rob said...

I initially misread your Lewis quote and thought Clive Staples was the one saying, "Just Chillax." That was definitely unexpected.