Monday, August 3, 2009

Sometimes, you just can't win...


Last week, I went with my family to Cedar City to enjoy some theatre (I must be sophisticated if I switched up the "er"). It was a splendid experience, and so refreshing to take in some entertainment that was uplifting, witty, intelligent and thought provoking. I don't think any of those four things occur in our regular diet of entertainment on a regular basis. But I'm not here to write about that...
One morning, holding to our Shakespeare Festival tradition, we went to Denny's for breakfast. I've heard the gag about how President Obama went to Denny's and, upon coming out, lowered his goals for the American people, but I don't have a problem with it. I rather enjoy the food, and don't have anything against it or the people who go there... especially since I'm one of them. But again, I digress.
The waitress, who was married (I have to check those things because I have to be ready to point out her ring when my parents jokingly suggest I should get her number) told us of a special where if you get a juice, you get a ticket and you scratch off the little thing, and you're guaranteed to win something. I was down for that because I never win anything, and I thought it would be fun, even though I understood that it would undoubtedly be something small. So, we all got juices, and all got tickets. When we were done with the meal, the waitress brought out our tickets. Gradually everyone scratched theirs off, all winning something like pancake puppies (they look like doughnut holes) or a free drink or something like that. I was one a free cup of coffee... I was the only one in the family to win a free cup of coffee. At least I won something, right? No. That's dumb.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I SO know where you're coming from on the ring thing. I do the same thing.

-Owen